Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Encouragement


Although writing about RSD is easy because you live it and, therefore, know it…writing about it can also be hard in the sense of distinguishing between the difficulties and the blessings. What blessings , you ask! Many! Like perseverance/tenacity; that determination and fighting spirit that pushes you on, against all odds. You may be battling pain only, you may be battling pain and limitations, or you may reach an impasse, whereby, certain body parts that limited movement before, now prevent movement. Regardless of the place you’re at, it’s your body, not your mind, that is being diminished. You are still you, albeit functioning differently. Like the saying ”If Plan A doesn’t work, switch to Plan B.“ For me, doing that gives purpose; it keeps me from stagnating and it keeps me from sinking. So, without meaning to minimize the loss of our normal life, the passions and abilities we discover within our alternate life are the blessings to which I’m referring.
Those of us with RSD are in the fight of our life; trying to survive the pain and hold onto whatever abilities we have. I, for one, have learned that I took things for granted. I assumed I would always be able to walk or brush my hair, or…(fill in the blanks). And I have learned how to make lemonade…haha! A very important life lesson that sometimes involves “searching” for good, as opposed to “seeing” good. This takes daily practice, and it doesn’t mean someone is oblivious to their suffering. It means they choose to rise above it…and probably more for the sake of survival than for excellence.
Having persevered for 26 years with RSD, I try to encourage others with the disease but I need to encourage myself, as well, as I can‘t give what I don‘t have. I find my encouragement in the Word of God and in the person of Jesus Christ. I don’t say all this to preach to anyone. I say it to offer hope and encouragement to those who are hurting, that you would know there IS a strength greater than your own - just for the asking. There is hope for healing and the promise of sustenance. There is love unconditional and life eternal. Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways, acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6
“Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him.” Psalm 34:8
This was meant to edify, and I sincerely hope that it ministered to someone.
Blessings,
Jane








No comments:

Post a Comment