Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Inability

Pain and limitation
Aren’t the things that I detest.
It’s the absence of a life
That I hate most, I confess.

I can reach things with a reacher.
I can even drive a car.
But without accessibility
I can’t get very far.

Like doorsteps with a ridge
That stop me in my tracks.
And public buildings without ramps,
I consider lax.

I know the world has come so far,
Technology and all;
But insight still is needed,
Even at the mall.
 
They make you walk a distance
To their office for wheelchairs.
Don’t they know, if you could walk that far
You wouldn’t need the chair!

And have you seen that escalators
In the mall abound?
But needed elevators
Aren’t easy to be found.

The absence of a livelihood
And inability
To still be self supporting
So distresses me.
 
God, you see within my heart
And you know I’m wearing thin.
Would you strengthen me in spirit
Till a miracle comes in?

Copyright 2002 Mary Jane Gonzales

No comments:

Post a Comment