Saturday, September 5, 2015

My Story of Chronic Pain


My life changed years ago, when I got injured from a fall. Then, with ensuing injuries, it changed more and more, as something about my body was suddenly different. The injuries weren't healing properly, the pain was disproportionate to the actual injury and, unlike before, my body had become frail – making me susceptible to more injuries, resulting in more disabilities. All normalcy was lost and that began a downward spiral. Because the injuries weren't healing properly, I was in constant pain, I moved slower, and my movement was limited. I needed assistive devices for walking, for reaching, and pretty much everything.

Bear in mind, throughout this whole ordeal, I did not know what was wrong with me. The doctors had no clue; hence, no diagnosis. To my surprise (and dismay), without a label, there’s no credibility! Many people thought I was faking and, even those who believed me, thought I was exaggerating the pain. One friend, who had committed to driving me to work, suddenly decided after two weeks that she was enabling me. And one family member, who thought I was faking, made my life miserable for years. I know no one can understand the disease or what it’s like, without experiencing it. But understanding it is one thing and believing it is another. Or, more precisely, believing YOU. I now have a good support system among my family and friends, albeit smaller than years past.

Finally, after eighteen years, I was diagnosed with RSDS (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome), now called CRPS (Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome). There is no cure, as of yet; but research is ongoing and strides are being made every day. Over time, my injuries rendered me unable to work. And, having had this now for 30 years, my life is very confining. I appreciate the abilities I do have and keep very busy. Along with writing books and advocating for awareness of RSDS/CRPS, I enjoy crafting and other hobbies, along with the friendships and support of other Chronic Pain patients I’ve met online.


by Jane Gonzales

No comments:

Post a Comment